Join us for the first-ever Camp Confluence
Camp Confluence is an opportunity to deepen your skill in leading and facilitating Creative Community Model-based youth camps. Our camps are already great—how can we make them even better?
We are expecting representatives from most of the camp programs up and down the North American west coast, plus facilitators from the One Love Youth Camp in Jamaica; Dream a Dream camps in Bangalore, India; LIFEbeat Camps in the UK; and Indigeneyez in British Columbia.
Where: Beautiful Camp Casey Conference Center on Whidbey Island
When: Wednesday, May 3 to Monday, May 8, 2017
Who it’s for: Lead facilitators, camp managers, key camp staff, teaching artists
Leaders: Nadia Chaney, facilitation; Peggy Taylor, facilitation; and Helena Hennighausen, camp management and production
Cost: $535, all-inclusive: room, board and training
Our goal? To bring together people from Creative Community-based camps in North America and beyond to share experiences, explore common issues, deepen facilitation skills, and build an even more connected camp community. Join us!
What We’ll Cover
Camp Confluence will be a combination gathering and training. Here is an initial list of topics and themes:
Facilitation training for leads and teaching artists
- Debrief refresh
- Leading strong plenaries and workshops
- Strategies for planning the workshop schedule
- Co-facilitation strategies
- Working with an assistant lead
- Other issues
Communication and conflict resolution training
- Best practices at camp
- How best to prepare the staff
- What are challenges? What’s working?
Dealing with camp issues
- Broken agreements
- Risk management
- When someone wants to go home
- Reportable situations revealed
- Any other issues identified by the group
Building and maintaining a strong adult community
- Working with cultural and age diversity
- Making staff meetings most useful
- Song share, workshop share, etc.
Any other issues or ideas you want to explore
We hope you can join us for what promises to be an inspiring and joyful time for all.