Art of Facilitation
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Art of Facilition is a 5 month intensive training course that meets one weekend per month for five months (November to March).
When: November 2-4, December 7-9, January 11-13, February 8-10 and March 7-10 (details below)
Trainer: Nadia Chaney
Venue: St. Matthew’s Clubhouse | 450 Broadview Ave, Toronto
Fee: $2000CAD, early bird rate of $1750CAD if registered by July 31
Partner: East End Arts
Maximize Your Leadership Potential!
The Art of Facilitation Training (AOF) is an intensive professional development opportunity for people and organizations who work with groups to facilitate change, including teachers, youth workers, counselors, trainers, and community and business leaders. Experience five transformative weekends over five months in a community of fellow changemakers.
AOF prepares you to lead creative, transformational learning programs with powerful and lasting impact. Based on the premise that effective facilitators are authentic, creative, responsible, and passionate, the training weaves personal growth with coaching and skill-building in facilitation, group work, youth development, and arts-based empowerment practices. AOF is enlivening, challenging, and fun. Participants should expect the training to be at times mentally, physically, and emotionally taxing. We have purposely created a rigorous training to make clear the level of skill, commitment, and integrity it takes to become an effective, top-notch facilitator. Those who see working with groups not as “work” but rather as a life path, should feel right at home with AOF.
Join Us and Learn:
- Basic Facilitation Skills – Questioning, processing, listening, authentic speaking, contextualization, debriefing, working with a co-facilitator
- Effective Communication – Non-violent, relational, and challenge-based communication; relational and rapport building skills
- Group Dynamics – Understanding what makes groups tick; getting comfortable working with young people, their emotions and issues
- Personal Development – Understanding your triggers; learning how to claim and hold the space; understanding your strengths and challenges as a leader
- Cultural Competency – Understanding the dynamics of working with youth and adults from diverse cultures. How to be an ally for all youth.
- Presentation Skills – Getting comfortable speaking in front of groups; projecting your voice; clear communication; being able to think on your feet
- Creative Arts Skills – Using image and metaphor in teaching; basic activities from theater, creative writing, poetry, visual arts, music, movement, and rhythm
- Program Design Skills – Elements of a strong program; how to design experiential learning programs
Who is AOF For?
- People who work with children, teens and young adults – Youth-workers, teachers, administrators, adult volunteers, artists, counselors, therapists, life coaches, probation officers, camp personnel, facilitators, workshop leaders and youth group leaders.
- People who are just getting started – Those who have just begun working with youth or young adults, but have been facilitating groups for a while and want to enhance their education in the areas of youth development.
- Organizational development professionals and adult workshop leaders – Professionals and leaders in their field who want to bring more creativity and depth into their trainings and work environments.
- For some examples of what people are doing with the skills they learn at a PYE training, click here.
- Nov 2: 5:00pm – 8:00pm
- Nov 3: 10:00am – 8:00pm
- Nov 4: 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Dec 7: 5:00pm – 8:00pm
- Dec 8: 10:00am – 8:00pm
- Dec 9: 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Jan 11: 5:00pm – 8:00pm
- Jan 12: 10:00am – 8:00pm
- Jan 13: 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Feb 8: 5:00pm – 8:00pm
- Feb 9: 10:00am – 8:00pm
- Feb 10: 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Mar 7: 5:00pm – 8:00pm
- Mar 8: 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Mar 9: 9:00am – 9:00pm
- Mar 10: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Nadia Chaney is International Senior Trainer for PYE and a professional poet and performer. She holds a Masters in Imaginative Education and a postgraduate diploma in Dialogue and Negotiation. Since 2002 she has facilitated over two thousand events, workshops and trainings on four continents. She specializes in creative risk-taking, emotional intelligence, and improvisation.
Tuition fees includes materials and refreshments. Please plan to bring or purchase lunch.
- Early Bird Rate: CAD$1,750 – Registration and deposit must be received by July 31 to receive the Early Bird rate.
- Full Rate: CAD$2,000
Deposit: A deposit of CAD$300 is required by August 14 to hold your space in this training. Click here to pay your deposit only AFTER submitting your registration form.
Tuition Due: Tuition balance will be due in full on October 15.
Payment Plan: Please contact Susan at email@example.com if you would like to split your tuition balance into two payments, due October 15 and December 15.
Scholarships: PYE Global is a nonprofit and does not generate revenue through most of our trainings. Tuition fees collected help offset the direct costs of this program. Our goal is to make trainings accessible to anyone who wishes to attend, regardless of financial need. Limited scholarship funds are available for this training. Please submit the Scholarship Application to be considered. Applications are due September 15. Scholarship awards wil be announced October 5.
Terms and Conditions: Click here for more infomation on refunds, cancellation and waiting lists.
Note About Enrollment: A minimum attendance is required for this training, and if not not met by August 14, this training may be cancelled. If cancelled due to lack of enrollment, registration fees will be fully refunded.
What Participants Say About AOF
“Not only the best days of my life ever, but were also the best training I ever received in facilitation. I loved everything about that training.” – Nosipho Mabaso, Shine Centre Manager, South Africa
“Taking this training was one of the wisest choices I’ve made in my professional career as well as my personal life.” – Patricia Cortes, Social Worker, Eugene, OR
“I draw on the skills I learned in AOF during every workshop I lead. Beyond what I do, the way I do the work has transformed.” – Alan Wong, facilitator, teaching artist, Seattle WA
“AOF is some of the best life-changing work I’ve ever done AND it was FUN!!” – Barbie-Danielle DeCarlo, diversity trainer, Seattle WA